Thursday, December 07, 2006

Stop, thief!

Ethical dilemmas of our time, Part 212. It's the Everton game last week and I arrive, as is my usual custom, about 45 minutes before kick-off, giving me ample time get a coffee and to buy and read a programme. At this point of course I must offer some kind of flimsy apology for the fact that both of these purchases stick more revenue in the Glazer coffers. Eighteen months ago, when an air of militancy still buzzed around Old Trafford, the idea was that those of us who were opposed to the Glazer coup but were unable to sever our connection to M16 and up sticks to FC would boycott anything that wasn't a match ticket. Indeed there was much heady talk of barricading concessions, stopping anyone handing over cash to the midget. How long ago and quaint it all seems now. So please accept this admission of how morally compromised I am and move on.

Anyway, I've got my programme and order a coffee. Being super-efficient and always eager to please I tender exactly the right money. And this is where the ethical dilemma bit kicks in. The bloke behind the counter, decides that, seeing as I gave the right amount, he might as well save himself a few seconds and not bother running it through the till. Indeed, he might as well go a bit further and not bother opening the till, and just nurses it in his hand, from where I'm pretty sure it was quickly transferred to his trouser pocket.

Now I could be wrong here. Indeed I could be unfairly maligning a soul of unblemished virtue. it's equally possible that United may have some kind of stringent and highly invasive policy of checking the pockets of all staff just on the off chance anyone does try to siphon a bit of the revenue stream off for themselves. But I reckon the guy just saw the chance to pocket £1.50 and took it.

So should I applaud this act or decry it? Was he stealing from me or was he stealing from Malcolm Glazer? No doubt he receives an obscenely small amount for his labours and I really shouldn't resent him topping up his pittance. But couldn't he have at least gone halves with me so I could join in the feeling of getting one over on Malc, even if it was only to the tune of such a meagre amount?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home